COVID-19 Spread in Nigeria: A geo-political threat analysis
FCT, the Geopolitical Zones, Regions and Most Affected States of Lagos, Kano & FCT as at 25th May, 2020; Total Confirmed Cases in Nigeria is 8,068 and the Total Deaths is 233!
FCT 519 cases (6.43%)
Southwest- 4,166 cases (51.64%) spread in all the 6 States with Lagos alone having 3,595 cases(44.56%) of the National Total and about 90% of the cases in the Zone!
Northwest- 1,908 cases (23.65%) spread in all the 7 States, with Kano having 919 cases (11.39%) of the National Total cases and about 50% of the cases in the Zone!
Northeast 727 cases (9.01%) spread in all the 6 States as follows; Borno-255 cases, Bauchi-232 cases, Gombe-148 cases, Yobe-47 cases, Adamawa-27 cases & Taraba-18 cases
South South 394 cases (4 .88%) spread in 5 States, with no single case yet in Cross Rivers!
North Central 253 cases (3.14%) spread in 5 States, with no single case yet in Kogi.
South East- 101 cases (1.25%) spread in all the 5 States.
Breaking the analysis to the north/south, shows that in the North there are 2,888 cases (35.79%) as against 4,661 cases
(57.77%) in the South while FCT a total of 519 cases (6.43%)
There is rapid escalations of the Corona virus infections in the North over the period while in the Southern part only that of Lagos State is increasing rapidly!
In the North as at
today 25th May, 2020, the figures for the confirmed cases jumped up to 2,888 cases and if we add up the FCT figures 0f 519 cases, then North+FCT have 3,407 cases representing (42.23%) against the South 4,661 cases (57.77%).
Lagos+FCT alone has a total of 4,114 cases(51%) of the National Total Cases, While the remaining 35 States have a Total of 3,954 Cases (49%) of the Total National Cases if which the 19 Northern States have 2,888 Cases(73.04%) and the 16 Southern States having 1,066 Cases(26.96%)!
Also the National Average Spread of the COVID-19 by States/FCT is 219 Cases, with only 8 States as follows; Lagos-3,595, Kano-919, Katsina-335, Borno-255, Oyo-244, Jigawa-241, Ogun-240 & Bauchi-232 (SW-3 States, NW-3 States &NE-2 States) then FCT-519, that have Cases above the National Averages of 219 Cases while all the remaining 27 States are have cases below the National Average ranging from between 191 cases in Edo to 5 cases Bayelsa!
Analysis Carried Out by:-
Dr Sadiq Umar Abubakar Gombe of the ARDP.